Friday, October 7, 2011

Thinking is the living potential of the mind

Ancient Philosopher Confucius
Thinking is the living potential of the mind. Freedom from error is the overall principle. The nine thoughts are the specific principles:


1. Thinking how to see clearly
2. Thinking how to hear keenly
3. Thinking how to make a warm impression
4. Thinking how to be respectful in demeanor
5. Thinking how to be truthful in speech
6. Thinking how to be serious at work
7. Thinking how to pose questions when in doubt
8. Thinking about what troubles may occur when angry
9. Thinking about justice when seeing profit to be made.

This recycled wisdom is by the ancient Chinese philosopher we know in English as Confucius. His ideas permanently shaped human behavior in Asia, without having to invoke gods or spirits to enforce social ethics. His words and ideas are worthy of deep study, as has been practiced for over 2000 years in China and throughout Asia. His influence is not well known in the U.S., but throughout Asia he is held in the same regard as Buddha and Lao Tzu, the "founder" of Taoism. 


I printed these words out and refer to them frequently. At my last job, I taped them on the wall next to my computer screen. Other people saw them but no one commented. Describing thought as "the living potential of the mind" galvanized my awareness and lead naturally to the nine specific principles derived from the overall principle, freedom from error.


Throughout my life I have relied on numerous translators and publishers of Asian thought. Regrettably I did not keep bibliographic information on the quotes I have gathered over the years. Therefore I cannot provide specific attribution to recycled wisdom appearing in this blog. My recollection is that this translation was made by Thomas Cleary, who has translated a treasure trove of spiritual and philosophical literature from Chinese and a number of other different languages. In my opinion, he is surely a genius to be able to comprehend and interpret such abstruse, profound, and esoteric wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment